Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Oh, my gosh...Writer's Block

Funny title, I know. But for those of you who know me in real life and those of you who've read my blog from the day of the Writer's Loft, you know I totally abhor the term "writer's block". THere is no such thing. Just because I don't know what to cook for dinner doesn't mean I have cooking block, right? I hate, hate, hate "writer's block", don't believe in it, don't ascribe to any solution.

The main reason is simple: We are writers. We are good with words. We can adequately name what's in the way of our writing and stopping progress...such as depression, sensory overload, description issues, lack of ideas...etc...writer's block is too blessed generic.

So, lately, I've been suffering from...writing doesn't matter block. Lots of little things in real life affecting my perception of the importance and love of my writing...hence few blog posts and almost no writing on the personal level, even toward the deadlines I've had. How to help get out of those funks? Read on:

Women's Writers Block.com (lots of stuff...)

To Beat Writer's Block, Personify It!

Writer's Block at Wikipedia (interesting overview and suggestions)

Breaking Through Writer's Block by John Warner

Top 10 Tips for Overcoming Writer's Block by Ginny Wiehardt (at about.com)

Happy unblocking (and it is...)

Beth