Friday, February 23, 2007

You Say Plot, I Say Character

From an innocent question from a non-romance fiction writing friend, I've started thinking about that elusive question I managed to snuff out when I gave up novel-length fiction writing for freelancing (but the question was never quite answered)

Plot or character? Which is more important? How do you write?

I'm going to go into thoughtful introspection with this on my other blog (www.writer-in-progress.blogspot.com) over the weekend sometime, but in the meantime, here are a few articles to make you think about which you consider most important, how it impacts your writing, etc.

And note--neither is better than the other as long as it results in you finishing the damn book!

Character Driven fiction by John Morgan Wilson

Character Driven or Action Driven? by Martha Alderson (who's penned a terrific book on plotting: Blockbuster Plots, Pure and Simple)

Creating Characters from Plot by Melanie Anne Phillips

That should be enough for now--get reading so you can get writing!

Happy Plotting (or Character-izing),
Beth